Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
OverviewAMG Performance Studio and designo: Exclusivity to suit every tasteBody and lightweight design: Aluminium comes up trumpsChassis and braking system: Driving dynamics at the highest levelDesign and equipment: New AMG brand faceEngine and power transmission: Dynamism, performance and efficiencySafety: Top technology for the greatest possible safetyThe Mercedes-AMG management comments on the new SL 63 AMG: "A giant leap forward"The new Mercedes-Benz SL 63 AMG: High-performance dream car with efficiency credentials
May 8, 2012
- AMG Performance package for extra performance
- Optional extras from the AMG Performance Studio
- AMG Performance Media for motorsport fans
- designo: tailor-made individualisation
- "Edition 1": an attractive combination of appointments
The AMG Performance Studio in Affalterbach aims to meet individual customer requirements. And this service includes tailoring the SL 63 AMG. A particularly attractive highlight is the AMG Performance package which comprises:
- an increase in the peak output of 20 kW (27 hp) and in the torque of
- genuine carbon-fibre AMG engine cover
- AMG rear axle differential lock
- genuine carbon-fibre AMG spoiler lip
- AMG performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA
- brake callipers, painted red
Additional exclusive optional extras are available from the AMG Performance Studio:
- AMG forged light-alloy wheels, painted in titanium grey and polished, with size 255/35 R 19 tyres at the front and 285/30 R 20 at the rear
- AMG forged light-alloy wheels, painted in matt black, rim flange with a high-sheen finish, with size 255/35 R 19 tyres at the front, and 285/30 R 20 at the rear
- AMG performance suspension
- AMG ceramic high-performance composite braking system
- AMG Exterior Carbon package (cross strut in front apron, exterior mirror housings and spoiler lip in genuine carbon fibre)
- AMG performance steering wheel in nappa leather/DINAMICA
AMG Performance Media as a highlight
Another highlight is the AMG Performance Media, familiar from the SLS AMG and C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series. This innovative and informative system has been inspired by the world of motorsport and provides numerous telemetry displays of such items as various engine data as well as lateral and linear acceleration and lap times.
Key functions at a glance:
- Real-time display of lateral and linear acceleration combined with braking performance and accelerator position, including memory function
- Recording of individual lap times on a closed-off race circuit, with sector times and memory function
- Integration of functions to save setup data to memory and initiate RACE START
- Real-time display of acceleration time from 0-100 km/h (alternatively: quarter-mile)
- Real-time display of engine oil, coolant and transmission fluid temperature
- Real-time display of engine output, torque and accelerator position
- Real-time display of individual tyre pressures
AMG Performance Media is activated by pressing the AMG key in the AMG DRIVE UNIT, and operated with the COMAND Controller. All functions are visible on the high-resolution 17.8 cm colour display of the COMAND Online multimedia system. Numerous items of information which are otherwise integrated into the AMG menu in the central display are now to be found in graphic form in AMG Performance Media – e.g. the tyre pressure display, the active transmission mode, the ESP® mode and the engine oil/coolant/transmission oil temperatures.
The upper menu bar offers a choice of "Data", "Race" and "Setup", while the lower bar offers further choices such as "Temp", "Power" and "Tyres". When the desired sub-menu has been selected, the menu bars disappear and the display fills the entire screen. Three displays always appear at the same time, the most important information being displayed in the centre. Simulated digital dial instruments with red needles ensure outstanding legibility. The vehicle is configured using the "Setup" menu – storing e.g. the transmission mode or the ESP® mode: the active setup appears on the left, an individually configurable setup in the centre and RACE START mode on the right.
Real-time "Power" display: engine output and torque
Sheer excitement is guaranteed by the "Power" display: depending on the accelerator position shown on the right, the central dial instrument shows the current engine output in hp while the scale on the left indicates the current torque in newton metres – in this way AMG Performance Media delivers full, visual proof of the high performance of which the top-of-the-range AMG model is capable. In the "Temp" menu the engine oil temperature is shown in the centre, flanked by the coolant temperature (left) and the transmission oil temperature (right). The tyre pressure display shows a stylised SL 63 AMG and the respective individual tyre pressures.
"Race" mode: G-Meter visualises high driving dynamics
In "Race" mode the so-called G-Meter appears in the centre, showing the driver the current lateral and linear acceleration. The left and right displays show the current brake pressure and the accelerator position, each as a percentage. The G-Meter enables the driver to monitor the high driving dynamics. Depending on the current driving situation, the red dot moves forwards, backwards, to the left or right. Three circles in the dial instrument show a graduation of the current G-forces from 0.5 g and 1.0 g to 1.5 g (= gravity acceleration 4.90 m/s², 9.81 m/s², 14.71 m/s²). Motorsport fans will be familiar with this display from the TV reporting of Formula 1 events.
A grey bar shows the maximum acceleration rates achieved since the last reset. In the "History" function the driver can call up a display of the lateral and linear acceleration figures for the last ten minutes. The time of day, steering angle in degrees and vehicle speed are also stored in memory. A screenshot showing the figures is also available, and this can be saved to an external memory via a USB interface.
"Track" menu: personal race engineer on board
An even greater motorsport feeling is provided by the "Track" menu. This mode not only offers various recording possibilities, for example individual lap times on a closed race circuit, but also sector times including an analysis and memory function. In short: "Track" mode places a personal race engineer on board who is able to help the driver to make continuous improvements to his personal race track performance.
Not only the respective lap times are therefore displayed, but also the difference from the fastest lap time. And this is not all: all individual figures such as brake pressure, accelerator position, lateral and linear acceleration can be separately displayed for each lap when in Parameter mode. In conjunction with the individually selectable sector times, the driver is able to see at a glance where his improvement potential lies.
Comparison of up to five completed laps
The matrix display allows up to five laps to be compared. AMG Performance Media saves the absolved racing laps to memory. The driver is able to decide which laps to display. The fastest lap time is shown in green, and the best and worst individual figures in green and red respectively.
The relevant circuit layout is shown graphically, with the Nürburgring North Loop and the Hockenheimring integrated ex factory. New circuits can be individually absolved, named and stored in memory. Lap times and data recorded in Track mode can be saved to a USB stick, enabling the data to be analysed on a PC at home and then reloaded back into the system.
RACE START mode: faster and more convenient than before
RACE START mode is a further function, and its activation is faster and more convenient in conjunction with AMG Performance Media. After selection using the COMAND Controller, a bar chart shows the driver the necessary braking pressure. The driver then only needs to pull the shift paddle in the "Up" direction once to confirm the RACE START function, depress the accelerator fully and release the brakes. Manual preselection using the rotary transmission control is unnecessary, as is activation of ESP® SPORT Handling mode.
designo range and "Edition 1"
The designo range for the SL 63 AMG, available ex factory, offers a wealth of tailor-made individualisation options to cater for practically any requirement. The designo leather and Exclusive designo leather ranges available in eight attractive colours are designed to match both of the designo magno cashmere white and designo magno allanite grey matt paint finishes. designo trim elements in natural bamboo as well as champagne white and black piano lacquer, and also carbon-fibre AMG trim also provide for a very special feel. designo seat belts in silver and red, meanwhile, as well as the designo roof lining in a variety of finishes – including the finest leather – round off the range perfectly.
To mark the launch of the new SL 63 AMG, AMG is also offering the special "Edition 1" model. The "Edition 1" is opulently appointed and includes the following as standard:
- AIRSCARF neck-level heating
- AMG forged light-alloy wheels, painted matt black, rim flange with a high-sheen finish
- AMG Performance package
- designo Exclusive leather in classic red or deep white with black contrasting stitching
- designo headliner in black leather
- harman/kardon® Logic 7® surround sound system
- MAGIC SKY CONTROL panoramic vario-roof
Features exclusive to the "Edition 1" include special designo magno crystal silver paintwork and, if designo Exclusive leather in classic red is specified, contrasting red topstitching on the steering wheel, headliner and dashboard. A set of designo velour floor mats with edging in designo classic red leather round off this exceptional package of appointments.