Mar 5, 2015
Numerous driving assistance systems offer support in the CLA Shooting Brake and reduce the driver's workload. Its standard features include the ATTENTION ASSIST drowsiness detection system and the radar-based COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS with Adaptive Brake Assist.
The CLA Shooting Brake boasts COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS as standard. The system extends the functionality of COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST with the addition of autonomous braking to reduce the risk of rear-end collisions. If the driver fails to act when a risk of collision is detected, despite the warning lamp in the instrument cluster and the intermittent acoustic alert, the system will automatically trigger braking. The vehicle speed is thus already significantly reduced. Depending on the speed in relation to the vehicle in front, this intervention may be enough to avoid a rear-end collision with vehicles that are driving more slowly, stopping or stationary, or significantly mitigate its severity.
The latest generation also includes the standard-fit ATTENTION ASSIST: Operating within an extended speed range (60 to 200 km/h), it uses a five-stage bar display to visualise the driver's current attention level. The system's sensitivity can be varied via the "Assistance" menu in the instrument cluster. If the "Sensitive" setting is selected, the system warns the driver earlier.
A series of further assistance systems can be added to this:
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist : when vehicles are detected ahead of or oncoming to the vehicle, this system automatically dips the beams and adjusts the range of the headlamps appropriate to the distance. The driver benefits from a longer dipped beam range and does not generally need to switch manually between main and dipped beam.
- Active Parking Assist including PARKTRONIC: makes entering parallel and end-on parking spaces and also leaving parallel parking spaces easier. The electronic PARKTRONIC monitors the front and rear ends during manoeuvring and warns the driver if it detects a risk of collision.
- Intelligent Light System (ILS): with five light functions, automatically adapts to the weather and light conditions and the driving conditions. ILS comprises bi-xenon headlamps with variable light distribution and dynamic headlamp range control for country roads, motorways and heavy fog, active light function, LED daytime running lamps and a headlamp cleaning system.
- Blind Spot Assist: detects vehicles in the critical zone by means of two radar sensors located at the sides at the rear of the vehicle and warns the driver by displaying a red triangle in the exterior mirror. If the turn indicator is actuated the red triangle begins to flash and a warning tone is emitted.
- Lane Keeping Assist: a camera behind the windscreen detects carriageway markings and can recognise if the car is about to leave a detected lane unintentionally.
- Speed Limit Assist: a camera fitted behind the windscreen detects speed limit signs at the roadside and compares this data to information contained in the GPS system or the digital map. The relevant speed limit is then displayed in the instrument cluster.
- Brake Hold function (standard): when stopping, for example at traffic lights, the driver merely has to press the brake pedal slightly more firmly once (and can then take his or her foot off the brake) to keep the brake engaged until moving off again. The brake is released automatically when the driver steps on the accelerator.
- Reversing camera: integrated in the handle strip on the tailgate, the reversing camera features a wide-angle lens. When reverse gear is engaged, the image from the camera is transmitted to the screen of the Audio 20 system or the COMAND system. Static and dynamic guide lines assist the driver during manoeuvring. For protection against soiling the camera only leaves its housing when in use.
- DISTRONIC PLUS: radar-based proximity control supports the driver at speeds between zero and 200 km/h by automatically adjusting the distance from the vehicles in front. In doing so it is able to apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a complete standstill and also accelerate it again. As a result, the system is also particularly convenient in stop-and-go traffic. If the system detects that the distance is being reduced too quickly, it warns the driver with both visual and acoustic signals. Available in conjunction with 7G-DCT.
- Cruise control with Speedtronic: the cruise control maintains the preset speed. The additional SPEEDTRONIC function ensures that the saved speed is not exceeded. Both functions come as standard with the 7G-DCT dual clutch transmission and are optionally available for the models with manual transmission.
- Traffic Sign Assist: helps the driver to obey the traffic regulations. This assistant (standard in conjunction with COMAND Online) is able to recognise speed limits and no-overtaking restrictions, as well as the end of such restrictions. This information is displayed in the instrument cluster and in the map view of the COMAND display. Having detected the respective traffic sign, the system sends out visual and acoustic warnings from the instrument cluster if the driver starts driving the wrong way down a one-way road, e.g. on a motorway slip road (wrong-way warning function).
 In conjunction with Intelligent Light System