Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
OverviewKey topic: Comfort and space - More space, more fun, more comfortKey topic: Driving enjoyment, on- and off-road: Dynamism, agility and ride comfort à la carteKey topic: Energy efficiency - Economy on four wheelsKey topic: Safety - SUV stands for safety and responsibilityMercedes-Benz GLC - The full spectrum: model range and equipmentMercedes-Benz GLC world premiere: An SUV that fits the bill to perfection4x4 interview
Jun 17, 2015
Virtually all of the driver assistance systems which are familiar from the C-, E- and S-Class are available for the new GLC. As part of the Intelligent Drive Concept, these systems combine data from various sensor technologies to enhance comfort and safety substantially. COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS, Crosswind Assist, Headlamp Assist and ATTENTION ASSIST are on board as standard. Driving Assistance package Plus provides an even more comprehensive scope of active safety features, comprising DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot, PRE-SAFE® Brake with pedestrian detection, BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist and PRE-SAFE® PLUS. The latter also offers added protection in the event of a rear-end collision, as by means of a radar sensor in the rear bumper it is able to detect an impending rear-end collision and initiate special protection measures and warning functions.
Greater safety for all road users is provided by Traffic Sign Assist with wrong-way warning function, which in addition to speed limits can also alert the driver to no-overtaking and no-entry signs. On vehicles equipped with the LED Intelligent Light System, Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus allows main beam to be left on permanently by masking out the area of the main-beam light cone which is occupied by other vehicles.
The key functions of the assistance systems on board the GLC
- DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist - helps to keep the vehicle in its lane and is capable of following tailbacked traffic in semi-autonomous mode
Safety - linear guidance
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS - can help to prevent rear-end collisions
- BAS PLUS - can also detect crossing traffic and pedestrians and boost the braking power applied by the driver, thereby reducing the severity of an accident
- PRE-SAFE® Brake - can detect pedestrians, avoid collisions with pedestrians or stationary vehicles by means of autonomous braking at vehicle speeds of up to 50 km/h and reduce the severity of collisions at speeds of up to 72 km/h
Safety - towards the rear
- PRE-SAFE® PLUS - can detect impending rear collisions, initiate PRE‑SAFE® occupant protection measures when a rear collision is imminent and lock the brakes of the stationary vehicle in a rear collision in order to reduce the loads acting on the occupants and to avoid secondary collisions
Safety - lateral guidance
- Active Kane Keeping Assist - can detect oncoming traffic and whether the adjacent lanes are occupied, and prevent the vehicle from leaving its lane unintentionally by applying the brakes on one side
Safety - at night
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus - allows the main-beam headlamps to be kept on permanently without dazzling traffic by masking out other vehicles in the beams' cone of light.
- Off-road lights - specific off-road headlamp settings for broader illumination of the terrain ahead, improve orientation in off-road terrain
Safety during parking and manoeuvring
- Active Parking Assist - can manoeuvre into and out of parallel and end-on spaces with automatic steering
Driver attentiveness and fitness
- ATTENTION ASSIST - can warn of inattentiveness and drowsiness in an extended speed range from 60 to 200 km/h and inform the driver about their level of drowsiness and how long they have been driven since their last break
All-round visibility in the GLC
In addition to Active Parking Assist, simpler handling and a clearer view when manoeuvring in tight spaces or driving in dense urban traffic are ensured by the 360° camera, which is able to show the vehicle and its surroundings from different perspectives. Functions of the 360° camera in detail:
- The virtual bird's-eye view shows an aerial view of the GLC and the surrounding area three metres to the front and rear and 2.5 metres to the sides of the vehicle.
- Display of perspectives which are not actually physically possible. For example, when manoeuvring in a multi-storey car park with a low ceiling a bird's-eye view of the GLC and its surroundings are shown from a height of over three metres, although the ceiling is actually only a few centimetres above the vehicle.
- Visualisation of the sides of the vehicle and its surroundings to avoid knocks to the exterior mirrors or the wheel rims, for example.
- Visualisation of obstacles below the vehicle's belt line, which are not visible to the driver.
- Visualisation of crossing traffic in front of and behind the vehicle when manoeuvring out of tight parking spaces or in tight exits.
- Visualisation of pedestrians on the pavement when manoeuvring out of tight parking spaces or in tight exits.
- Support when travelling off-road in demanding and confusing terrain.
- The colour of the GLC on the COMAND display always corresponds to the vehicle's actual paintwork.
Relaxed driving experience
The improved ergonomics and simpler controls in the GLC compared to its predecessor also help to enhance safety. All important vehicle functions and settings can be carried out intuitively using the central rotary pushbutton or the touchpad. The desired settings or information are clearly visualised by the large, partially integrated colour media display in the middle of the dashboard. Direct selection buttons next to the light switch module to the left of the steering wheel additionally enable direct activation of the most important assistance systems.
Also new is the Head-up Display (HUD). The HUD displays important information directly in the driver's field of vision on the front windscreen, thus providing for clear legibility and less distraction from the road ahead. The system provides information on speed, posted speed limits, navigation instructions and messages from the DISTRONIC system.
Hybrid body: the safe foundation
In keeping with the Mercedes-Benz tradition, the body forms the foundation for exemplary occupant protection in the event of a crash. A high-strength safety passenger compartment forms the core of this concept. It is surrounded by specifically designed and crash-tested deformation zones, which ensure the best possible safety for the occupants by virtue of optimised force paths and a combination of die-cast aluminium components and ultra-high-strength materials. This assures the new GLC of the potential to put in an excellent showing in all the worldwide rankings. The measures in detail:
- Highly robust passenger compartment consisting of high-strength and ultra-high-strength sheet steel, tailored blanks (sheet steel with graduated wall thicknesses) and cast aluminium components
- Bodyshell structure whose front and rear can absorb energy with purposeful deformations
- Large deformation zone of the front due to a subframe that absorbs additional energy in an accident
- Several parallel load paths for improved load distribution in partial frontal collision (offset crash)
- Additional strut made of high-strength steel between the damper dome and windscreen cross-member on the driver's side which distributes the load from forces in the upper side member plane and reduces steering and pedal intrusion in the footwell.
- Additional firewall supports between the front and outer longitudinal members, which prevent the front wheel from intruding into the footwell in a severe offset frontal collision
- Extruded aluminium profile cockpit cross-member between the A-pillars
- Doors with reinforcement profile
- Main floor with massive tunnel reinforcement and now continuous floor side members
- Rear seat base with additional reinforcements, separated from the rear floor
- Composite rear structure with longitudinal floor members in graduated plate thicknesses and a corresponding rear centre section
On the GLC 350 e 4MATIC with plug-in hybrid technology, a lithium-ion battery and other high-voltage components are integrated in the rear area. Special cast aluminium parts form a deformation-proof area to shield off these components.
Airbags & co.: cushioning protection for the occupants
Three-point seat belts with pyrotechnical belt tensioners and belt force limiters are installed for driver, front passenger and passengers on the outer rear seats. The centre seat of the second row is equipped with a standard 3-point belt system. A rear seat-belt status display in the instrument cluster informs the driver whether the passengers in the back have fastened their seat belts. ISOFIX child seat anchorage points on the outer rear seats ensure safe attachment of appropriate child seats with additional anchorage points at the top of the rear seat backrest. The front passenger seat can be fitted with automatic child seat recognition, which dispenses with the existing transponder and instead works with a weight mat. This enables any standard child seat to be used. The airbag is automatically deactivated in this case and reactivated once the child seat has been removed.
In addition, a host of airbags provides occupant protection in an accident. These include:
- A newly developed windowbag in the area of the roof between the A-, B- and C-pillars for the head area of the driver, front passenger and passengers in the outer rear seats
- Combined thorax/pelvis sidebags for driver and front passenger, which are able to provide additional protection in the event of a side impact Optional sidebags for the outer rear seats.
- Kneebag for the driver to protect the knees and stabilise the upper body, which positively influences occupant movement in an accident.
- Adaptive airbags for driver and front passenger with two-stage staggered deployment, depending on the detected severity of the impact and seat position.
The new GLC is equipped with Mercedes-Benz emergency call eCall. The emergency call can be made automatically or manually. It is triggered automatically after deployment of one of the pyrotechnic belt tensioners or airbags in the vehicle. The service centre then establishes voice communication with the vehicle. If there is no response, it immediately alerts the nearest rescue service.
Best possible protection for more vulnerable road users
Mercedes-Benz attaches priority to the protection of more vulnerable road users, such as pedestrians or cyclists. An active bonnet is used which is lifted by 80 millimetres in certain accident constellations, creating additional deformation space. Under the bonnet the package has been further optimised with a new engine cover and deformable air intake, creating yet more deformation space. These measures ensure that the GLC meets the markedly more stringent Phase 3 requirements of Euro NCAP pedestrian protection.
BAS PLUS warns when pedestrians are detected in the danger zone by the stereo multi-purpose camera. The PRE-SAFE® Brake with pedestrian protection triggers autonomous braking when the system detects a pedestrian in the danger zone and the driver does not react to the system's warnings. This pedestrian detection, in conjunction with the optionally available Driver Assistance package Plus, represents a milestone in preventing accidents with pedestrians and/or reducing their consequences.