Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
OverviewAppointments and technical highlights of the new C-Class Estate*Body: A model of strength, safety and lightweight designChassis: A blend of agility and comfortDesign: Cast from a single mouldEngines and transmissions: Extra power coupled with far lower fuel consumptionInterior: Taking spaciousness and load capacity into a new dimensionModel range: As multifaceted as daily lifeSafety: Innovations borrowed from the luxury classTechnical dataThe new C-Class Estate: Unrivalled spaciousness, plus exemplary safety, optimum comfort and tangible agility
Sep 11, 2007
- Perfect synthesis of agility and comfort plus spaciousness and versatility
- Top marks for load, payload and towing capacities
- Load compartment concept and functionality geared towards everyday life
- EASY-PACK system for convenient loading and safe transportation
- Three clearly defined and comprehensively equipped model lines
The estate car is the all-rounder of the motoring world and the new C-Class Estate is indeed a true master in multi-tasking. Firstly, it takes all of the exceptional qualities of the Saloon - safety, comfort and agility - and combines them with extra spaciousness and versatility. And secondly, the Estate succeeds in quite exemplary fashion in fusing form and function, incorporating sophisticated Mercedes design on the one hand and everyday functionality on the other.
For motorists who deliberately choose an estate car for being every bit as multifaceted as their lifestyles, the new C-Class Estate therefore ticks all of the right boxes. Whether it's for family, work, leisure pursuits, sport, shopping trips or travelling on holiday, the Estate is the perfect companion for (almost) any task. A multi-talented vehicle which pairs good looks with high utility.
A car every bit as multifaceted as daily life: this thought was foremost in the minds of the Mercedes designers and engineers as they created the new Estate. As a result, priority was given to everyday practicality. The experts in Sindelfingen sought to develop a "real" estate car: a vehicle free of compromises for a large target group with an eclectic range of wishes and requirements. A car that offers plenty of space first and foremost - load space for the numerous different transportation tasks that young families, sports enthusiasts and business people have to handle on a daily basis.
This philosophy has given rise to an estate car which redefines standards in its market segment. The new C-Class Estate offers ...
- ... the greatest load capacity of any premium estate model in this segment: a maximum of 1500 litres, as measured in accordance with the VDA method. This is an increase of as much as 146 litres compared to the predecessor model. The load compartment measures between 950 and 1200 millimetres wide, giving it far more breadth than previously;
- ... the best versatility in this model segment: The rear seat backrests have a 1/3 : 2/3 split-folding design and can be folded forwards in a single action, allowing the interior to be adapted to the transport task at hand quickly and conveniently. The EASY-PACK system that can be ordered as an option enables additional partitioning of the load compartment, courtesy of a telescopic bar and a retractable belt. The power tailgate, which opens and closes at the touch of a button, is being offered by Mercedes-Benz for the first time in this vehicle class;
- ... the highest payload capacity in this class of estate car: a maximum of 605 kilograms (DIN measurement);
- ... the highest level of safety in this vehicle class: as well as seven airbags, NECK-PRO head restraints, belt tensioners and belt force limiters, the standard specification also comprises extremely sturdy, crash-tested rear seat backrests, a combined luggage cover and retaining net, plus four load-securing rings. This affords the occupants maximum protection from items of luggage or other objects in the load compartment that could be catapulted forwards in a collision;
- ·... the highest towing capacity of any estate car in this market segment: up to 1800 kilograms (braked).
As impressive as it might be on paper however, it is the everyday practicality of the new C-Class Estate that really counts. For the Mercedes engineers took their cue from day-to-day life and focused on the objects that might be encountered in practise while designing the load compartment - from golf bags to packing cases, from drinks crates to parasols and from a washing machine to a pram. Hundreds of computer simulations and over four dozen real-life loading tests were conducted in order to mould the load compartment in such a way that all of these articles and many more besides can be easily accommodated.
The fruits of such a meticulous development process can be seen, for one thing, in the size of the largest possible cuboid that fits into the load compartment of the new Estate. It measures 943 x 599 x 1465 millimetres and has a volume of 827 litres. That is a whole 66 litres more than on the outgoing model and betters other premium estate models in this segment by between 50 and 100 litres.
AGILITY CONTROL, automatic climate control and ADAPTIVE BRAKE as standard
The Estate's other two exceptional qualities, agility and comfort, are rooted in the sophisticated technology it inherits from the C-Class Saloon, that promises a driving experience that is more spontaneous and active than ever: the steering is more direct, the gearshift has a shorter throw and the shock absorbers adapt automatically to the changing driving situation, improving ride comfort on the one hand and handling dynamics on the other. And all as part of the standard-specification AGILITY CONTROL package.
A body whose torsional stiffness is around twelve per cent higher than on the previous model, the standard THERMATIC automatic climate control, as well as newly developed seats make for excellent comfort on long journeys. Customers may also opt for a three-zone automatic climate control system being offered for the first time in this vehicle class.
Active safety is given a boost by standard-fit systems such as Brake Assist, ESP®, flashing brake lights and the ADAPTIVE BRAKE system. Both the Saloon and Estate versions of the C-Class are the only models in their respective classes to offer the option of the PRE-SAFE® anticipatory protection system and the Intelligent Light System with its five different lighting functions. 4MATIC permanent all-wheel drive is available for the C 320 CDI Estate as an option, where it is coupled as standard to the seven-speed automatic transmission.
Three lines, each with their own look and specification
In the same way that it has adopted the progressive technology of the C-Class Saloon, the new Estate also employs its successful model line concept. CLASSIC, ELEGANCE and AVANTGARDE present Mercedes customers with the opportunity to match the Estate's specification and appearance to their own personal tastes. This gives them the scope to emphasise the hallmark characteristics of the C‑Class - comfort and agility - as they choose.
The youthful, progressive line is named AVANTGARDE. This is where the sporting genes of the Mercedes-Benz brand come to the fore, most noticeably in the radiator grille with its broad, wing-like slats and the large, centrally positioned Mercedes star - a modern interpretation of the traditional badge of sportier Mercedes models. The Stuttgart brand has now incorporated it for the very first time into an estate model, as an unmistakable expression of the vehicle's inherent strengths: agility and performance. Standard 17-inch light-alloy wheels in a five twin-spoke design, 225/45 R 17 wide-base tyres, an aluminium interior trim (with the option of bird’s-eye maple) and other stylish details accentuate the sporty, effortlessly superior appearance of the AVANTGARDE model, without at the same time neglecting other time-tested C-Class attributes such as safety and long-distance comfort.
In the ELEGANCE line the emphasis is placed more on the traditional values of a Mercedes-Benz - and especially on comfort and elegance. The external appearance is enhanced by the attractively integrated, three-dimensionally shaped louvred radiator grille as well as chrome inserts in the bumpers, the side rub strips and on the tailgate. Fine wood trim in eucalyptus (optional: burr walnut) brings typical Mercedes flair to the interior, which also provides a welcoming ambience with its warm colour tones and colour combinations. In this line too, the Estate remains true to its fundamental character and offers not only typical Mercedes comfort, but also the dose of handling agility needed to perfect the driving experience.
The CLASSIC line is designed to appeal to all motorists who do not wish to give away the potential of their C-Class at first sight. Both inside and out, the Estate is characterised by classic restraint; however its extensive range of standard appointments encompasses all the technical innovations that account for the superior status of the new Mercedes Estate where safety, comfort and agility are concerned. The standard equipment* of the CLASSIC line at a glance:
- Adaptive brake lights
- AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system
- AGILITY CONTROL six-speed gearshift
- Airbags for driver and front passenger
- Armrest with roller-top compartment
- Electrically adjustable and heated exterior mirrors
- Outside temperature display
- Brake Assist and ADAPTIVE BRAKE system with hill-start assist
- Black roof rails, anodised
- Diesel particulate filter (for CDI models)**
- Combined luggage cover and retaining net
- Collapsible shopping crate
- ESP® with acceleration skid control (ASR)
- Headlamp assist
- Power windows (4)
- 1/3 : 2/3 split-folding rear backrest, with armrest and twin cup holder
- Status indicator for the rear seat belts
- Belt tensioners and belt force limiters for the front and outer rear seats
- ISOFIX child seat attachment points in the rear
- Air-conditioned glove compartment
- Map pockets on the front seat backs
- THERMATIC two-zone automatic climate control
- Kneebag on the driver’s side***
- Coat hooks on the pull handles on the inside of the tailgate
- Light-alloy wheels (from C 220 CDI / C 200 KOMPRESSOR)
- Steering column adjustable for height and reach
- Lumbar support in driver’s seat
- Multifunction steering wheel with four buttons
- Front fog lamps
- NECK-PRO head restraints for driver and front passenger
- Stowage nets (x2) in load compartment
- Tyre pressure loss warning system
- ELCODE locking system with infrared/radio remote control
- Sidebags for driver and front passenger
- Bag hooks (x2) in load compartment
- Front seats electrically adjustable for height and backrest angle
- Tinted glass
- Trim in piano lacquer look
*selection; **depending on country; *** in Europe
The ELEGANCE and AVANTGARDE lines include the following additional appointment features compared to the CLASSIC:
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Optional extras: cutting-edge technology lifted from the luxury class
Buyers of the new C-Class benefit from all the technological might of the Mercedes-Benz brand. The Estate can also be equipped with all manner of innovations taken from the brand's flagship models promising even greater safety, comfort and agility as well as even better in-car entertainment - from the new Intelligent Light System to the panoramic sliding sunroof to the surround-sound system. Another highlight is the dynamic handling package comprising two shift modes - Sport and Comfort - as well as infinitely variable, electronic control of the shock absorbers, a more direct steering ratio and adaptation of the accelerator and shift characteristics (on automatic models).
On the infotainment side, the new Estate offers a range of audio and navigation systems featuring the very latest technology, such as a Bluetooth interface for mobile phones and either DVD-based or hard-disc navigation. COMAND APS furthermore comes with a music server for around 1000 tracks. LINGUATRONIC voice control, which can now recognise whole-word commands for the navigation, radio and telephone systems for the first time, is included as standard on models ordered with either COMAND APS or Audio 50 APS plus the DVD changer.
The load compartment's versatility and load-securing facilities can be further improved by opting for the EASY-PACK system, comprising a load-securing kit with aluminium rails, four extra load-securing rings, a telescopic bar and a retractable belt. A newly developed EASY-PACK tailgate which opens and closes at the touch of a button is available for the new C-Class Estate as an option too. And Mercedes-Benz also offers special roller sunblinds for the side windows in the rear.
The optional extras* for the new Estate at a glance:
- Audio 20 radio, incl. CD player and Bluetooth interface
- Audio 50 APS radio, incl. DVD arrow navigation; available with six-disc DVD changer and LINGUATRONIC voice control on request
- Bi-xenon headlamps with cornering light function and headlamp cleaning system
- COMAND APS, incl. hard-disc navigation, LINGUATRONIC voice control and music server; available with six-disc DVD changer on request
- EASY-PACK load-securing kit with four load-securing rings, telescopic bar and retractable belt
- EASY-PACK tailgate with electromechanical drive
- Dynamic handling package with Sport mode
- Intelligent Light System with five lighting functions
- Integrated child seats for the rear seat unit
- Child seat recognition in the front passenger seat
- Leather upholstery
- Multicontour front seats
- Self-levelling suspension
- Panoramic sliding sunroof
- Speed-sensitive steering
- Run-flat tyres
- Roller sunblinds for the side windows in the rear
- Tilting/sliding glass sunroof
- Sidebags in the rear
- 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission (for V6 models)
- Heated front seats
- Surround-sound system
- THERMOTRONIC with three-zone climate control
- Electrically adjustable front seats with memory function
AMG sports package: exclusivity for sporty-minded drivers
The AMG sports package injects added dynamism and sportiness into the new C‑Class Estate. A combination of exclusive features, many of which are not available individually, gives the Estate a yet more powerful presence even at standstill. AMG bodystyling, a sports suspension, 17-inch AMG light-alloy wheels, sports seats and a three-spoke leather steering wheel convey a far greater sense of individuality.
All the features of the AMG sports package at a glance:
- AMG bodystyling consisting of a front and rear apron plus side skirts
- 17-inch AMG light-alloy wheels in a high-sheen, six twin-spoke design, with size 225/45 R 17 tyres at the front and size 245/40 R 17 at the rear
- Large, perforated front brake discs with aluminium brake callipers and Mercedes-Benz lettering
- Speed-sensitive sports steering
- Sports suspension; body lowered by 15 millimetres
- Sporty engine sound for V6 petrol models
- Sports seats for driver and front passenger
- Upholstery in fabric/ARTICO man-made leather (leather available as an optional extra)
- Three-spoke steering wheel
- Steering wheel shift paddles (on automatic models)
- Aluminium-look gearshift/selector lever with leather boot
- Sports pedals made from brushed stainless steel with black rubber studs
- Black roof liner
- Floor mats with AMG lettering